Bypassing Force Quit

Greetings,

I am running on FedoraCore5 and I have an application that when the user clicks the "X" in the upper right wants to query for saving any changed data. I have currently coded this as a signal handler for the delete event which puts up a modal dialog box with the questions and waits for the user's response. However, after some internal timeout, I get another dialog box warning me that the window titled "..." is not responding and do I want to force it to quit, losing all of my data.

I would like to disable this if possible, but I've not yet found a way. Is this caused by GTK? Has anyone encountered this and have you found a way around it?

Dan