dilspay image -- i need help

I am trying to load and display an image(jpg,gif) in a window , but something
is going wrong... I insert a button in a box, and then i add it in window
container... after I chose a file from directory,and i add it into box....
can be image added into box?
I do it in 2 ways:

image=gtk_image_new_from_file(selected_filename); (and after I cannot
display it, only broken icon apears)

or

pixbuf= gdk_pixbuf_new_from_file (selected_filename, NULL);
image=gtk_image_new_from_pixbuf(pixbuf);
(compilation error when i try to add it into box, can't parse image in
GtkWidget object)

I tryed to load image directly into window or popup window but nothing
happens... I tryed to load a window into another window but it doesn't help.
Should I draw an image pixel after pixel in drawin area window?

Thanks for any kind of help