Re: How to determine usable Desktop Bounds

Hi Yeti,

Thanks so much for the useful response!  I was able to test out the
Extended Window Manager hints feature with a small program (I also
referred Nautilus source code which already uses this through gdk).

Thanks again!
Gaurav

On 3/22/07, David Nečas (Yeti) <yeti physics muni cz> wrote:
On Thu, Mar 22, 2007 at 10:48:48AM +0530, Gaurav Jain wrote:
> I need to determine the actual desktop bounds usable by a GTK
> application on a Linux Desktop.  The screen size (the one returned by
> gdk_screen_width() and gdk_screen_height()) also includes window
> manager bars such as the task bar, the panels on top and bottom of the
> screen, etc. and I don't want those to be included.
>
> What I want is the size that a GtkWindow can acquire if it is maximized.
>
> Is there a reliable way for me to determine this size?

Sort of, see _NET_WORKAREA in the EWMH specs
http://standards.freedesktop.org/wm-spec/wm-spec-1.3.html
But if you window has decorations, you cannot use it directly
to calculate the maximized size and position.

> Does Gtk
> provide any method for me to do this?

No.

What `maximized window' means is defined by the window
manager and windows are maximized by asking the window
manager to do it.  Some window managers even may not support
maximization or may have it intentionally disabled.  The
right size and position can change over time (desktop is
resized, bars are shown/hidden/resized, ...).

Yeti

--
http://gwyddion.net/