How to determine usable Desktop Bounds

Hi,

I need to determine the actual desktop bounds usable by a GTK
application on a Linux Desktop.  The screen size (the one returned by
gdk_screen_width() and gdk_screen_height()) also includes window
manager bars such as the task bar, the panels on top and bottom of the
screen, etc. and I don't want those to be included.

What I want is the size that a GtkWindow can acquire if it is maximized.

Is there a reliable way for me to determine this size?  Does Gtk
provide any method for me to do this?

Thanks,
Gaurav