Virtual list boxes (using GtkTreeView or other)

Hello,

I have been googling for some form of virtual list boxes, but can't
seem to find any reference.

How people do with very large list boxes? I was hopping I could have
some form of just seting up the column headers and say I have 10000
rows and let the widget ask me for the data when it needs it.

It seems a bit heavy to add 10000 rows one at a time, as it seems I'm
forced to do even if I "derive" my own ListStore.

Any hints?

Regards,
~Nuno Lucas