glade_xml_signal_autoconnect cannot find functions NOT in shared libs?

I am trying to rough out my first GTK app, and am trying to use
glade_xml_signal_autoconnect to handle hooking up the signals.

I can successfully hook up the signals contained withing libgtk, however,
any attempt to connect functions that are defined within my app fails with
a "libglade-WARNING **: could not find signal handler " message.

I'm guessing the problem is that GModule is not finding any symbols
contained within the executable itself, as opposed to symbols in shared
libraries, but I'd like to confirm this, and get any work-arounds anybody
may have.

The code is C++, with the signal handles marked as 'extern "C"' to a)
insure visibility and b) insure no mangling. They do show up when I do an
"objdump -t" so I know they are actually in the executable.

This is all under Suse Enterprise Desktop 10, using GTK 2.8.10. (yes, I
know it's out of date - one of the myriad of reasons I hate SLED10....)

On a related note: eventually, I'd like to handle signal assignment myself
(I really don't like the idea of a modified .glade file being able to
vector to any exported function, plus I'll eventually be vectoring to C++
functions), so I'd be using glade_xml_signal_autoconnect_full with my own
hook function - but is it possible (or advisable) for me to be able to
call the function that glade_xml_signal_autoconnect uses (I am assuming
that glade_xml_signal_autoconnect calls glade_xml_signal_autoconnect_full
internally)?