Coding systems ?

Dear all,

  Here is a problem where I am completely lost.
The idea is to write inside a text view buffer
the content of a text file. Thus I read this later
file with fgets(file, line) where line is a char *.
  -- The file I read has nothing other than ascii
characters (letters even from a-zA-Z and punctuation).
  -- When creating the file with emacs, I specify
the coding system as utf-8.
  -- When I open the file with emacs, the coding system
is undecided-unix, which means that nothing special
enables emacs to decide of the coding system.
  -- But gtk complains with enumerables
Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_text_buffer_emit_insert:
assertion `g_utf8_validate (text, len, NULL)' failed
  -- This happens on two such files, (and any other
I tried to create since) but I have one file that
works :-(
  -- when I created my debian system, I remember
I asked for iso-***-** default coding system.

  Any help?
  Many thanks in advance!
  Best,
  Amities,