Re: delete-event of GtkWidget

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 12:24:45 +0000, tomas tuxteam de wrote:

On Sat, Jan 20, 2007 at 03:52:24PM +0100, Enrico TrÃger wrote:
On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 05:34:27 +0000, tomas tuxteam de wrote:

On Fri, Jan 19, 2007 at 06:52:03PM +0100, Enrico TrÃger wrote:
Hi all,

when I write big dialogs, I create it only once, keep the
pointer to the dialog [...]
[...]
I didn't understand exactly. Do you mean that you *don't* handle
the delete event [...]

I connected to the delete-event and registered gtk_widget_hide as
callback.

Ah-hah. Now I think I got it.

          Re-showing(gtk_widget_show) worked in Debian and crashed
in PuppyLinux. Now, I register gtk_widget_hide_on_delete as
callback and then the widget won't be destroyed and all is fine.

So basically it boils down to the difference in behaviour between
gtk_widget_hide() (used as a callback for the delete event) and
gtk_widget_hide_on_delete(). Did I get it right this time?

Note that the delete event *wants* a callback returning a boolean. If
it returns TRUE, the following chain of events leading to the widget's
Yes, I misused gtk_widget_hide and already fixed my code.

OTOH Yeti's interpretation is at least as likely: the widget gets
destroyed anyway, but its guts still lie around on the heap, so it is
seemingly functional.
Obviously, I just wondered about the different behaviour of different
systems. I tested it also under Windows and there it is like in Debian,
the widget is still functional even though only by accident or some
other magic ;-).

Regards,
Enrico