Need to restore a window to last size/position on restart

I need to be able to restore the size and position of a dialog whenever the
application starts.  I am using the function calls:
        gtk_window_get_size(GTK_WINDOW(dialog1), &w, &h) and
gtk_window_get_position(GTK_WINDOW), &x, &y)

However, no matter what I do to the window, resize or move, these two
functions always return the same values.  I get 0, 0 for the x and y
position and 448, 196 for the width and height.  Can someone point me to the
correct functions to be using?  Also, which functions to use to set the
location and size.

Thanks,

Russell Markus
Sr. Software Engineer