GUI window creation from a thread

Hi,

Is it not possible to create a GUI window from a thread? I created a thread
from a button_click callback and from within the thread I need to display a
popup message . But everytime a GUI operation like widget show or destroy is
done, it displays following error messages:
Xlib: unexpected async reply (sequence 0x24e)!
Xlib: sequence lost (0x10000 > 0x3e3) in reply type 0x0!

What is the get-around for this problem?
Please help
Preeti