Re: Application for finding all Windows

I want to develop an application where I can get a list of all
the windows that are open in the GNOME Screen and find any
activity being performed on any other window on the GUI screen
(and not only my application) e.g.  mouse click on window of
another application sends me a signal.

What is the exact reason for needing this?

I've never done this, but I would start by looking how to interract
with the window manager using ICCCM and/or Extended Window Manager
Hints (http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Standards_2fwm_2dspec).

thanks for the same, would look into it.. on second thoughts, would dbus
be useful in the above mentioned scenario?

Why would it? Applications that have window(s) open on the X11 display
that runs a GNOME desktop need not be written using GTK+ at all, even
less need such apps be using GNOME libraries, or have anything to do
with DBUS. They might be running on another machine, running a
completely different operating system like OpenVMS even.

In general, I think the only way to do what you want would be to hack
the X11 server's code to provice the information you need, or snoop on
the communication channels between the X11 server and its clients

--tml