Re: libglade frustration redux

This is a side thread but I think some important issues are in question

On Thursday 15 February 2007 2:48 pm, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
Gerald I. Evenden wrote:
2. A side thread suggested that in order to understand the usage of a
system like libglade one should study the source.

I think that's pretty standard practice where any open source
library/development system is concerned.  Having full reference
documentation, tutorials, etc. is great, but you can't expect them
(unless you're willing to pay for them to be written, or write them
yourself).  Source code inspection is always an option.

This is not an option with me, especially with such a complex package as this.
It would take months to go over the source code and develop a rudimentary
understanding of all the entries and how they interrelate.  If the only way
to use a package requires this option then I will deem it not ready for
prime-time and totally unusable.

Note that I don't think there was much of a suggestion to inspect the
libglade source; just that there are example programs  (with source, of
course) included in the libglade source tarball.  Not really the same
thing at all.  Tristan (I think) even asked how these could be made more
obvious/available, but didn't receive a decent reply AFAIK.

 Hmmm.  To use the C (or any
compiler) I should study the source code for the compiler???

Bad analogy.  A compiler is a user-space application.  libglade is a
library intended to be used by developers.

I do not understand your statement.  How is using a compiler not a developer's
function?

To use the math library I should study the library's source??

That's one of your options, yes.  If you don't know the name of a
particular function in the math library, seems to me that the fastest
place to look would be /usr/include/math.h.  Then you can look at a man
page or other reference documentation, or, if needed, look at the .c
file where the implementation is (I think this would be pretty rare).

I do not consider examining libm source a viable option for much of the same
reasons previously stated.  I generally rely upon Harbison & Steele for all
my libm documentation mainly to ensure staying reasonably within acceptable
standards.  Occasionally, a look at a man or info entry.

3. Getting back to libglade.  I have searched through many pages of
google to find either a decent reference and/or tutorial for libglade.  A
couple of tutorials make halfway attempts but ultimately fail because
they have no reference manual to rely on---among other failings.  Finding
a libglade reference manual is a total failure.

Then that's your failure, not libglade's:

http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/libglade/index.html

There's a very simple tutorial here:
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/libglade/index.html
... which also includes instructions on how to link applications that
use libglade.

There are a couple of sites which claim
to be a reference manual but I find them totally inadequate.

Please explain why the site referenced above is inadequate.

I believe that much of the above and following issues are reasonably well
resolved but there are serious problems with the adequacy of some sections
(glib) but I will address these to a specific issue on a subsequent email

-- Havelock Ellis (1859-1939)  British psychologist