libglade frustration

I took a GLADE example and managed to get it to run under GLADE.

It was suggest that I use libglade instead when generating a finalized program
but still using the *.glade file generated by GLADE.

But I am now to the point of giving up the whole problem because I cannot get
a libglade system to function.  I tried starting to learn by copying some of
the examples on various websites and attempted to get them to compile and
run.  But, alas, everyone of the examples had one problem or another and I
failed to get any one of them to function. Part of the problem was that the
examples were frequently incomplete and I could not diagnose what was missing
or how to reconstruct it.

I attempted to make my original GLADE example link and run with libglade but
was met with a variety of linkage errors and when I finally did get things
linked the program it generated made a variety of 'message's and finally died
with a memory fault.

I am about ready to kiss the entire GTK experience off and try ncurses.

My only plea is for an example of libglade that REALLY functions and would
appreciate a pointer.

Many thanks.