Query: Setting Colors to widgets

Hi,

I am using gtk+ version-1.2, i need some help in setting colors for
particular widgets.

In an Window i have 2-3 frames, and inside frames there is fixed widgets. I
want to set different background colors for different frames, i tried using
following APIs, but nothings worked out.

gtk_widget_modify_bg();
gtk_widget_modify_style();

If i am changing window background color, through out my window same color
persists. I am creating frames using gtk_frame_new() call. I need to specify
particular color to the frames only.

Please, guide me in this regard.

Thanks in Advance.

--