Re: Newby question on Glade2

On Wed, 2007-02-07 at 10:32 -0500, Gerald I. Evenden wrote:
Host hardware: amd64. OS-flavor: kubuntu

I managed to successfully complete one of the tutorials on Glade2 by getting
an example up and running and making a few personal tweaks to the project.
I feel that I am ready to progress to using Glade2 to provide a gui to
frontend some software that is currently only executed by command-line.  To
be sure, I will keep it simple and progress to more complex application as I
learn.

However, at the moment I am at a loss as to how to incorporate software
(either as local C files that I would rather not imbed into callbacks.c or
external libraries) into the make system generated by the Glade2 'build'
operation.  Admittedly, despite more that 20 years of C program, I am
ignorant of anything but basic Make operations and totally overwelmed by the
processes of 'autogen' and such.  I am a simple mathematician/cartographer
and not and not capable of Stallmanesque gurumanship.

Hi !

Please dont generate code with glade :D please enjoy libglade, note also
that in the future gtk+ will parse glade files natively, there is really
no need for generating any code - the libglade api is also very very
simple.

If you want to try out glade3, you can grab a tarball at
http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/glade3/3.0/

Regardless, the glade files generated by glade 2 & 3 will both work
with libglade.

Once you've got libglade you should be able to compile your app with
this line:

gcc -o prog prog.c `pkg-config --cflags --libs gtk+-2.0 gmodule-2.0
libglade-2.0`

If you need to make a proper package, all I can suggest is that you
do what we all did, take an example package that exists, copy the
configure.ac, autogen.sh, base Makefile.am and work from there...
anjuta is doing some work on automating this, but I dont know how
far they are on that front...

Cheers,
                  -Tristan