Newby question on Glade2

Host hardware: amd64. OS-flavor: kubuntu

I managed to successfully complete one of the tutorials on Glade2 by getting
an example up and running and making a few personal tweaks to the project.
I feel that I am ready to progress to using Glade2 to provide a gui to
frontend some software that is currently only executed by command-line.  To
be sure, I will keep it simple and progress to more complex application as I
learn.

However, at the moment I am at a loss as to how to incorporate software
(either as local C files that I would rather not imbed into callbacks.c or
external libraries) into the make system generated by the Glade2 'build'
operation.  Admittedly, despite more that 20 years of C program, I am
ignorant of anything but basic Make operations and totally overwelmed by the
processes of 'autogen' and such.  I am a simple mathematician/cartographer
and not and not capable of Stallmanesque gurumanship.

Is there some expanded documentation/tutorial that may cover the problem of a
project involving non-gtk *.c/h files and non-gtk libraries not already
referenced by the Glade2 system?

Many thanks.

PS: I am aware that there is a Glade3 but a binary does not seem to be
available for my machine.