Re: GMutex vs GStaticMutex

On Mon, 2007-02-05 at 19:33 +0100, Tomasz Jankowski wrote:
Hi!

I'm not sure if I understood difference between these two types of mutexes.
Can someone explain it for me more clearly, that it is in GLib's
documentation ;) Next thing, I have program, which will run few threads (one
thread - one object), so each object need to have it's own mutex, which will
be better for me GMutex or GStatisMutex?

Hi.

A mutex requires some memory space to function, that memory can be
allocated on the heap or on the stack, if its on the stack then
you'll use a static mutex and initialize it to the right value.

Typically you'll use a static mutex in a reentrant function that has
a critical section to protect, a mutex on the heap on the other hand
is usually used to protext a specific resource that is shared and
accessible throughout program execution (in which case you need
to expose and share the mutex object allocated on the heap as well).

Cheers,
                  -Tristan