Re: Multi-threaded UI Freezes on GDK Call

On Tue, 2007-12-18 at 20:37 -0500, Michael McCann wrote:
Brian J. Tarricone wrote:

Yes, I've already tried that, to no avail. My code basically only
consists of:

gdk_screen_get_default(): Get the default screen
gdk_screen_get_root_window(): Get the root window
gdk_pixbuf_get_from_drawable(): Get a pixbuf from the entire screen

OK, yeah, this operation will probably be slow! Taking a screenshot is a
time consuming op. I don't think there's much to do about that. I mean,
just run the Applications/Accessories/Take Screenshot app to see how
long it takes.

There is probably a better way to implement your app. What exactly do
you want to do?

gdk_pixbuf_save_to_bufferv(): Save the pixbuf to a buffer.

Remove all of the GDK calls, and there is no UI freeze. I can even throw in an infinite loop to any
function in the non-UI thread, and the UI does not freeze, which is to be expected.