Re: App blueprint, advice please!

----- Original Message ----
From: Niels Heirbaut <niels heirbaut nl>
To: gtk-app-devel-list gnome org
Sent: Sunday, December 16, 2007 2:32:04 AM
Subject: Re: App blueprint, advice please!

On Dec 16, 2007 3:27 AM, Patrick <optomatic rogers com> wrote:

[snip]

I want to build an App to control dozens or even hundreds of
 instruments
using different ports/buses (GPIB, Serial, Parallel etc) and I want
do some fairly complex data processing after. Then I want to be able
save the data in a database and/or in numerous formats.

[snip]

There is an open source project called Comedi that might at least
provide the drivers for the data acquisition equipment. Have a look at
http://www.comedi.org/.

I used the comedi drivers to write code for the Diamond dmm32at card.  But, there were a couple of other
cards that I wrote the drivers by hand, and the interface code was written in bash.  These were all PC/104
cards.  One was called Pearl, and was just a set of 16 switches, either open or closed.  You couldn't even
tell whether a switch was open or closed, so I had to keep state information.  You got the state from the
/proc interface.

Anyway, comedi is easy, but depending on the board, it may be overkill.

I also write one for the Sensoray model 518.  It was a lot of sensors, current loops, thermocouples, things
like that.  I wrote it by hand, also.  I'm not sure if comedi would have been too much or not.

Be a better friend, newshound, and