GTK Toolbar button size/alignment question

I orignally posted this question on wxWidgets forum, but I guess it applies more to GTK than wxWidgets. (link=http://wxforum.shadonet.com/viewtopic.php?p=74006#74006)

Anyone have any ideas on this toolbar question:

I'd like to create a toolbar the same as Mozilla's find toolbar. (Ctrl-F). This is for a wxFrame application.

So I have something like pseudo code:
Frame->CreateToolBar(wxTB_FLAT | wxTB_DOCKABLE | wxTB_TEXT | wxTB_HORZ_LAYOUT);
// close button
toolbar->AddTool(id, wxT(""), close_png_icon);
// "Find:" text
toolbar->AddControl(wxStatictext("Find:"))
// Find textbox
toolbar->AddControl(wxTextCtrl())
// Next
toolbar->AddTool(id, wxT("Next"), next_png_icon);
// Previous
toolbar->AddTool(id, wxT("Previous), prev_png_icon);
// Match case
toolbar->AddControl(wxCheckBox("Match case"))

When I do that the toolbar looks like:
[#________][Find:][__________][#___Next___][# Previous][# Match case]

where # = icon, _ is a space

My problems are some of the buttons are too large:
- the close toolbar button contains empty space after the icon. [#_________] - the Next toolbar button is also too large containing space either side of the word Next. [#___Next___]

Is there a way to pack the toolbar buttons, so they all only occupy space each button requires, and not a constant space, equal across all buttons?

------

2nd question, is it possible to have a vertical toolbar with vertically orientated text, like the amorak music player has for it's left pane?