Waiting for VSync / Tearing in Drawing Area

I experienced problems when using a Drawing Area with animated pictures. I get the tearing effect, that is, half of the picture shows the old frame and half of it the new one because the update occurred during the cathode ray being in the middle. I used SDL before, but I want to use standard widgets, too. It would be possible to map a SDL_Surface to a gtk_widget, but only under linux and I want my program to be portable at least to windows and linux. I attached a simple program to show the effect. Although it is written in GTKmm, this is a problem of GTK (perhaps it is not even a GTK problem, but it works with SDL and there has to be a possibility - perhaps someone can please help?)