Curious display/destruction/refresh behavior

We have developed several large applications in GTK.  Most of our screens
create their widgets from top to bottom, not for any functional reason, but
just because that's the natural way to think about the displays when
creating them.  We've noted that widgets consistently are created on the
screen in reverse of this order, that is, from the bottom up.  They also
disappear from the bottom up when a screen is destroyed.  When a screen is
covered by another, then re-exposed, however, the widgets can be seen to
refresh from the top down.  Can anyone explain this curious ordering?