Re: Internationalization of GTK Apps (change language)

Madhusudan E wrote:
Hi All,
I want my applications to be internationalized.

I have included in my app
#include <glib/gi18n.h>

and I have set LC_ALL = "zh_TWBig5"

And I'm using the following way to describe my labels

gtk_label_new ( _("Exit"));

But my app is not reflecting the language changes (to Chinese).

Is there anything more to be done.
Or am I going wrong anywhere.

You need to bind the language domain somewhere during the
initialisation phase (usually in main()):

bindtextdomain(GETTEXT_PACKAGE, PACKAGE_LOCALE_DIR);
bind_textdomain_codeset(GETTEXT_PACKAGE, "UTF-8");
textdomain(GETTEXT_PACKAGE);

Next you need to create and install a message cataloge. This
involves to extract the translatable strings from the source
and translate it in the target languages. The gettext tools
are used for this. See*: http://www.async.com.br/~kiko/gettext.html

If you use autotools, there is intltoolize and autopoint to
initialize the build framework and update the messages.

Cheers,
Andy

* There is a good howto somewhere, but I can't find it anymore