Adding fonts

Hello all,

I'm using GTK+-2.6.10 with DirectFB 0.9.25. I've also installed
freetype-2.1.10 and fontconfig. I need to add some TrueType fonts, so that
my applications could use them. Where should I put the font files?

The "fonts.conf" file contains the following directory list:
        <dir>/usr/share/fonts</dir>
        <dir>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts</dir>
        <dir>~/.fonts</dir>

Does that mean that any additional fonts can just be placed in any of these
directories, or does anything else needs to be "installed"?

And after adding a font, do I need to call
pango_font_description_from_string to use it?
I'm a bit new to this and would appreciate any help or suggestions.

Thank you.

Regards,
Dheeraj