Gnome memory requirements

Hi list,

First of all, I have to say that I'm not sure if this is the proper
list to make this post. My apologies if it's not.

Today I read this article:

http://ktown.kde.org/~seli/memory/

via osnews.com

I was surprised because the amount of memory taken by Gnome, specially
if we compare the results with KDE. I would like to know what are the
reasons for this. I use KDE and Gnome with a Debian with 2.6.15.6 and
I'm not able to see significant differences that explain this (from a
user's point of view).

According these tests, Gnome sometimes takes almost 25% more memory than KDE.

Some comments at osnews.com suggests that this is because the use of
Cairo and Pango. I have no enough experience with gtk/gnome libs, so
if there is a gnome developer around here... :) can you through some
light here?

As gtk-developers is there any recommendations that we should follow
in order to take less memory in our applications (although they are
not part of the Gnome desktop itself) ?

Thanks in advance.