Re: Resizing window

Hi,

Sorry for replying so late... but your example didn't really work for
me. Basically, I need a GtkExpander inside a file chooser dialog for
some advanced options. I'd like it to work similarly to the
FileChooserDialog when in "save" mode (try it out with GEdit->Save As,
and the expander makes the window grow bigger to fit the dialog).
However, my expander grows *into* the window - the window doesn't
change size, the filechooser widget shrinks. How can I fix this to
make it act similarly to the open file dialog?

Thanks,
Samuel Cormier-Iijima

On 8/22/06, Iago Rubio <iago iagorubio com> wrote:
On Tue, 2006-08-22 at 11:54 +0200, Iago Rubio wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-08-22 at 09:22 +0200, Fernando Apesteguía wrote:
> > I'm still looking for a solution. My app has internationalization support.
> > So make the window fixed is not possible in order to allow all the different
> > messages to fit in the window. I'll read more documentation.
> >
> > More ideas?
>
> Have you tried to pick the child's requisition and resize the window to
> it ?
>
> Try out the example attached.

Sorry, the attachment didn't make it.

// gcc test.c -o test `pkg-config --cflags --libs gtk+-2.0`
#include <gtk/gtk.h>

 void
 on_notebook_switch_page (GtkNotebook     *notebook,
                          GtkNotebookPage *page,
                          guint            page_num,
                          gpointer         user_data)
{
  GtkWidget *child;
  GtkRequisition requisition;

  child = gtk_notebook_get_nth_page       (notebook,
                                           page_num);

  // pick the child's requisition
  gtk_widget_size_request (child, &requisition);

  // The "+10" stuff below is used because we're not taking
  // into account the frame's width.
  gtk_window_resize  (GTK_WINDOW(user_data),
                      requisition.width + 10,
                      requisition.height + 10);
}

int main(int argc, char **argv)
{
  GtkWidget *window, *window_vbox;
  GtkWidget *notebook, *small_label, *big_label;

  gtk_init (&argc, &argv);

  window = gtk_window_new(GTK_WINDOW_TOPLEVEL);
  window_vbox = gtk_vbox_new (FALSE, 0);
  gtk_container_add (GTK_CONTAINER(window), window_vbox);
  gtk_widget_show (window_vbox);

  notebook = gtk_notebook_new  ();
  gtk_widget_show (notebook);
  gtk_box_pack_start (GTK_BOX (window_vbox), notebook, TRUE, TRUE, 0);

  small_label = gtk_label_new ("Small label");
  gtk_widget_show (small_label);
  gtk_notebook_append_page (GTK_NOTEBOOK(notebook),
                            small_label,
                            NULL);

  big_label = gtk_label_new (
          "T H I S   I S  A  B I G G E R    L A B E L"
  );
  gtk_widget_show (big_label);
  gtk_notebook_append_page (GTK_NOTEBOOK(notebook),
                            big_label,
                            NULL);

  g_signal_connect ( notebook,
           "switch-page",
           G_CALLBACK(on_notebook_switch_page),
           window );

  g_signal_connect_swapped ( window,
               "delete_event",
               gtk_main_quit,
               NULL );
  // force it to be smaller than it ought to be
  gtk_widget_set_size_request (GTK_WIDGET(window), 100, 50);
  gtk_widget_show (window);
  gtk_main ();

  return 0;

Iago Rubio