Re: embossing of text in insensitive buttons

On Fri, Oct 27, 2006 at 09:50:07AM -0700, John Boncek wrote:

GTK/Pango draws text embossed in insensitive buttons.  The result, in our
opinion, is that insensitive buttons look much better than sensitive
buttons.  This leads to an inconsistent overall appearance.

http://www.nabble.com/file/3875/buttons.png

I've done a *lot* of reading thru GTK and Pango documentation and on the
internet.  I've found others complaining about this but can find no
solution.  We would like to either be able to turn this off or to turn on
embossing for all buttons.  The color would still clearly indicate which
buttons are sensitive.

The implementation of a new GtkWidget style property
switching on/off the shadow is approximately as long as your
e-mail -- you just need to register it and change the if
around the first gdk_draw_layout() call in
gtk_default_draw_layout(), and possibly the same in
gtk_default_draw_string() for backward compatibility.  Make
a patch, post to bugzilla...

However, this raises questions:
- would it really improve anything?  if people complain
  about embossed labels without trying the non-embossed
  look, does it tell anything (beside the fact they don't
  care that much)? see
  http://kf.fyz.fce.vutbr.cz/~yeti/tmp/gtk-no-emboss.png
  in my opinion the labels are invisible in the first theme
  (6nome-sandy) while they are not distinct enough from
  sensitive labels in the second one (default), so the
  overall result is degradation
- you talk about buttons, what makes them different from
  other labels? (actually, the suggested option could apply
  to any widget)
- the embossed style is consistent with separators and
  other stuff, what about them?  you talk about consistency,
  but don't seem to take consistency seriously
- how many people will actually set this option if
  implemented?  [rant]can't you three just patch Gtk+ source
  and recompile?[/rant]

Yeti

--
Whatever.