embossing of text in insensitive buttons

GTK/Pango draws text embossed in insensitive buttons.  The result, in our
opinion, is that insensitive buttons look much better than sensitive
buttons.  This leads to an inconsistent overall appearance.

http://www.nabble.com/file/3875/buttons.png

I've done a *lot* of reading thru GTK and Pango documentation and on the
internet.  I've found others complaining about this but can find no
solution.  We would like to either be able to turn this off or to turn on
embossing for all buttons.  The color would still clearly indicate which
buttons are sensitive.  The attached image was made with default settings
(no GTKRC file).