GTK font problem

I have just installed Slack 11 on a Toshiba tecra 8200 laptop.
But, i cannot access any of the X11 core fonts with GTK-apps.

Now the thing is that i have another box with Slamd64 10.2,
on that box i have the same version of GTK (2.2.8) and all
GTK apps (using Freerock Gnome packages of the same version
on both) and on that Samd64 box i can use all core fonts.
I just put "export GDK_USE_XFT=0" in my .profile But this does
not work on the Slack 11 box, and i have not been able to
figure out why.

I have googled around but found nothing that helped, i am out
of clues and need some help on this.

Slackware 11 uses xorg 6.9.0
Slamd64 10.2 uses xorg 6.8.2

Now why do i want this? Look att these small cut-out shots
of text viewed in Firefox, the good.png from Slamd64:
http://web.telia.com/~u97015790/tillf/testcase/bad.png
http://web.telia.com/~u97015790/tillf/testcase/good.png

CC answers to me since i am not a subscriber on this list.