Re: Accompany index of deprecated symbols with GTK+ version?

On Monday 13 November 2006 08:20, David NeÄas (Yeti) wrote:
On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 12:28:29AM +0100, Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
I wonder whether it is feasible to accompany the index of deprecated symbols
[1] with the GTK+ version number describing since when the symbol is
deprecated. Ideally, this should work automatically of course.

I came across this question because developers might need to create
a application that is e.g. downward compatible to GTK+ 2.4. In that
case I would like to have a list of all deprecated symbols upto 2.4.

Well, if you build and test the application with Gtk+ 2.4,
which is something I suppose you do if you want to ensure
2.4 compatibility, you have Gtk+ 2.4 installed -- it comes
with documentation for Gtk+ 2.4 and this documentation
contains the list of deprecated symbols up to version 2.4.

No, I do not have 2.4 at hand. It is not handy to always install
the version that is the targetted minimum version of GTK+.
Today it is 2.4, tomorrow (for another project) 2.2 etc.

In practice it there is often the situation to upgrade a tool from e.g.
GTK+ 2.2 to 2.4. Now I want a quick list of symbols I have to migrate.
(I have a simple script that searches for occurances of deprecated symbols
- it would be cool to have a parameter "--gtk-version 2.4" to comfortably find
out  the TODOs for an GTK+ upgrade to 2.4.)

IMHO the ideal solution is to extend the table of deprecated symbols with
this tiny information on the GTK+ version.

Best

        Jan

--
Jan-Oliver Wagner: www.intevation.de/~jan  | GISpatcher: www.gispatcher.de