Re: Use GtkWidgets inside of a custom cell renderer

Gabriele Greco wrote:
As subject says it's possibile?

I've set up a custom cell renderer following the example in the treeview tutorial, now I'd like to use some GTK objects inside it instead of reinvent the wheel to draw lines and texts with GDK.

The problem is that what I get in the render method of my subclass is the treeview widget and a cell_area where to draw... there is a way to force a widget to be drawn inside an area instead of being attached to another widget?

Hi,
    The GtkWidget / GtkTreeView paradigms dont fit together
that easily, that is by design. GtkTreeView technology is designed
to be efficient to draw a list/tree of items, this way rows in
a treeview dont really take up any resources when they are not
visible (so you can easily have over 5000 items in a treeview without
slowing things down) - GtkWidgets own screen realestate and thus
cannot be packed into a treeview row.

I agree it might be interesting if an unparented GtkWidget could simply be
used as a rubber stamp on some input buffer though...
(practicly speaking though, gtk+ doesnt do this).

Cheers,
                      -Tristan