Use GtkWidgets inside of a custom cell renderer

As subject says it's possibile?

I've set up a custom cell renderer following the example in the treeview tutorial, now I'd like to use some GTK objects inside it instead of reinvent the wheel to draw lines and texts with GDK.

The problem is that what I get in the render method of my subclass is the treeview widget and a cell_area where to draw... there is a way to force a widget to be drawn inside an area instead of being attached to another widget?

What I want to be able to draw in a cell is a GtkFrame with inside a pair of boxes with a GtkImage and a few separators and GtkLabels with markups... not very confortable with Gdk primitives :)

Bye,
 Gabry