-----Original Message-----
From: gtk-app-devel-list-bounces gnome org
[mailto:gtk-app-devel-list-bounces gnome org] On Behalf Of Tor Lillqvist
Sent: Wednesday, May 24, 2006 12:22 PM
To: gtk-app-devel-list gnome org
Subject: RE: Deploying of GTK application

I'm keeping this discussion on gtk-app-devel-list where it was
started. One should not reply personally to people who follow-up to a
posting on a public mailing list, that defeats the whole purpose of a
the mailing list, especially a list about Open Source software. (Where
the intention presumably is to disseminate information widely and
publicly in the same spirit as the software itself.)

Sailaxmi korada  writes:
Yeah it is Windows Platform. Now can you help me out.

(and the original query was:)

 > I've developed an application using GTK. Can anyone suggest me the
 > runtime environment required to deploy this application on various
client
 > machines, without the need of installing complete GTK software on
their
 > machines.

You do need to install the GTK runtime (and its dependencies, like the
Pango, atk and GLib runtimes on the client machines, plus their
dependencies (just the DLLs for GNU libintl, libpng, libiconv, zlib),
There is no way around it. In particular, there aren't "static"
libraries for GTK etc, and won't be.

My suggestion is to install the dependent runtimes in the
application's installation folder and not attempt to share a GTK
installation among several GTK-using applications on the client
machines. That will lead to problems on machines where there are apps
that require different versions of GTK. (One typical example is Gaim,
which requires GTK and GLib 2.6 and won't work with GLib 2.8 or
newer.)

You can leave out for instance such gdk-pixbuf image type loaders that
your application won't use. And you can leave out those localisations
(message catalogs) that your users won't need. Especially, if your own
application isn't localised, it isn't very useful to include
localisations for the libraries like GTK.

To do the deployment you can either collect all the necessary files
into an executable installer that you create yourself, or use some
other mechanism like Microsoft's SMS or Novell's ZEN, or something
homegrown. I don't really anything about these, and besides, it's out
of scope of this list, really.

There are already executable Win32 installers for GTK and its
dependencies, see for instance http://gladewin32.sf.net, but they
don't necessarily contain the latest versions. The latest versions are
at ftp://ftp.gtk.org/pub/gtk/v2.8/win32/ .

Also, I think these installers typically try to share one instance of
GTK per machine, which as I said above might be problematic.

My main point is that planning a Win32 application deployment on a
corporate scale is a hard task itself and to be able to execute it
properly you need to be skilled in the appropriate technologies. I
think that people who are good at these things typically work as
Windows administrators and not application programmers.

--tml