stdio and/or network events?

Is there a mechanism in gtk to detect the event of the app being fed some input on stdin and/or via a network socket?

Basically what I'd like on the stdio front is after a complete line of text (indicated by a return) is received on stdin, that a "line received" event is generated and an appropriate callback triggered.

I may want to be able to do the same thing but listen on a network socket.

Is this something that gtk already can do? I haven't found it in the docs but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

Thanks
-Dan