Re: What's a GtkDrawingArea good for?

On Thu, Jun 29, 2006 at 03:09:33PM +0200, Daniel Haude wrote:
this is really odd. Some time ago I spent about a week creating a custom
widget (stuff gets drawn directly into the widgets's window using GDK
primitives). All works quite well.

It's only now that I realized that I hadn't even used a GtkDrawingArea for
the purpose. I must have forgotten. So my puzzlement is evident from the
Subject line: if I can do all that stuff without using a dedicated
GtkDrawingArea, what is it good for?

It can handle realize and configure events.  So it is useful
for quick and dirty custom display `widgets' when one
creates a GtkDrawingArea, connects something to "expose-event"
and that's it.

Of course, if you make a real widget (with its own class and
everything) it makes little sense to base it on
GtkDrawingArea instead of GtkWidget (or other suitable
parent).

Yeti

--
Anonyms eat their boogers.