Simple On-Screen Keyboard: Docked like panel

I am a summer of code student and I'm writing an onscreen keyboard for
Ubuntu using gtk, python and cairo.

I want to get it to behave like a docked window, such as the panel.

I've set the window hints for the window to docked.  This gets rid of
the window decorations and keeps it on top, but other windows still
maximise over it.

Does anyone know the proper way to achieve this?

Tarballs of the project are available here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Accessibility/Projects/SOK/dev

Comments, code, tips and feature requests welcome.

--
Chris Jones

jabber - skating tortoise gmail com
msn - skating_tortoise dsl pipex com