Animated interface question

I wrote an application that displayed multiple animated sequences and
moved them around the screen to represent machine activities. I bit like
a 2d game

The way that I did it was to create arrays (yes I know I should have
used linked lists) of structures that wrapped up each frame of the
animated sequence and a pointer to the next frame in the sequence. I
then used a gtk timer and indexed the current frame to the next with
frame[i]=frame[i].next, and drew the images to screen in the expose ca

It all worked, but I feel that it should have been coded more cleanly.
Is there a way to load and display an animated gif or png file and
display multiple sequences on the same drawing area, or is it the
application developers task to code this when using gtk.

Regards,
Kim