GtkComboBox questions

I am trying to use gtk_combo_box_new_text() since I only need to display
strings and, when a string is chosen, associate to an integer.  There can be
as many as 192 strings!
Question 1: it seems that I need to make a g_hash to associate the strings
and integers, or is there an easier way
Question 2: is there a way to control the amount of strings displayed? Maybe
just display 10 at a time and set up a scroll bar to navigate the rest of
the strings?
Question 3: I did not see anything in the docs that would suggest being able
to choose an item with the mouse and then double clicking on the selected
item  to use a callback signal.  I could create a button and use its
callback and gtk_combo_box_get_active_text() to do this but would prefer
double clicking as a more intuitive way.
Sydney