Re: RADiola, a GTK RAD tool

hi,

after I read a bit of your documentation-pdf, I have some annotations:

pdf> - No knowledgement of a programming language is needed.
pdf>   Applications are completely created in a graphical manner.
I think this is only possible for very simple applications. for more complex
applications you would need very many "graphical items" - and this might
be hard to handle... (and inefficient to create - you would need thousands of
mouse-clicks)

pdf> - Responses to events happened in the applications are set with the
pdf>   use of very simple fluxograms (flowcharts)
I personally never liked flowcharts for programming. from the example in your
documentation (page 12):
  +-------------------+
  | a = x + y / (z-7) |
  +-------------------+

  ____----^^^^^----____      .-.
 < if a > z AND a < 10 >----+ a +
  ^^^^----_____----^^^^      ^-^

  .-------------------.
  |     while a < 10  |
  |-------------------|
  |         |         |
  |   +-----------+   |
  |   + a = a + 1 +   |
  |   +-----------+   |
  |         |         |

clicking all those things together (+ defining the variables by mouse-clicking)
isn't quite efficient.

Instead of clicking together the above flowchart-diagram, I think the following
is much cleaner, more efficient to type, faster to edit/modify/move/cut-and-
paste/..., faster to understand etc.:

def f(x,y,z):
  a = x+y / (z-7)
  if a > z and a < 10:
    return a
  while a < 10:
    a=a+1
  return a

it's even more readable with colored syntax-highlighting. and the above
is already valid python-code!

but ok, if you like flowcharts: I think I've already seen such
flowchart->code-generators (but they do not name them "flowcharts", but maybe
UML or so). maybe you could use them.

pdf> There are some approaches to widget placement according to each
pdf> programming language or graphical toolkit. Most of them use "fixed
pdf> positions":
yes, unfortunately.
the gtk-containers are _much_ better in my opinion. you do not need to care
about the exact position, alignment, resize-behavoir, etc. of the widgets.
the result looks much better with much less effort. =)
and the whole container-concept in gtk is _very_ good. I didn't see anything
like this in other toolkits.
in other toolkits, it sometimes even isn't possible to have an image in a
button. in gtk, you can put _anything_ in a button, i.e. a table with 10
images, 5 labels, a treeview bars and much more (if you like to *g*).

I would strongly recommend them ;).