Re: Displaying text as a vertical marquee

On Mon, Jul 17, 2006 at 03:09:37PM -0500, Matt Hoosier wrote:
This is occurring inside of a widget which auto-responds to locale
changes. I'd hoped to avoid iterating across (and reformatting) the
input whenever a set_text() call occurs.

Well, I don't know anything that could do the right thing
for Hindi, Hebrew, Arabic, etc.  In fact I don't know what
the right thing is for most world languages.  But from the
little I know, if Pango (or some other lib) does not provide
routines for breaking text to individual graphems that make
sense placed vertically, this will be hard.  Unless the
strings to display are constant and can be broken by
translators -- and then you will have the formatting
embedded and thus no need to worry about iterations.

Yeti

--
Anonyms eat their boogers.