Re: platform support

thanks for your kind comment Calum, so this means I can distribute a runtime
of gtk+ (or the necessary files (dll's, etc.)) on almost any environment if
I pack it with my application. This is the good news. So i don't have to pay
for qt then. The only reason for choosing qt may be look and feel (native).
Very good :) I must decide that...
Thanks for all
Ahmet Alper Parker

On 7/17/06, Calum Benson <Calum Benson sun com> wrote:

On 16 Jul 2006, at 13:16, ahmet alper parker wrote:

> just to confirm, it is nearly ok on mac osX and ok on linux and
> windows. how
> about unix (and mostly on solaris)?

Solaris 10, the most recent supported version, ships with GNOME 2.6 /
gtk+ 2.4.  So if you don't use any widgets or functions newer than
that, you'll be fine.  Otherwise you'll need to use static linking or
some other approach to provide that functionality to Solaris users.

Solaris 8 and 9 didn't ship with gtk/GNOME, but a supported download
from Sun provided GNOME/gtk 2.0.  So if you want your application to
run on Solaris 8, 9 _and_ 10, without static linking, you'll be
restricted to the gtk 2.0 widgets and functions.  I'm guessing you
might not want to do that :)

(Note that the next version of Solaris should be shipping with
something much closer to HEAD than was previously possible...
OpenSolaris is currently using GNOME 2.14 / gtk+ 2.8, and will be
switching to GNOME 2.15/2.16 soon.)

Be aware too that there are other differences between Linux and
Solaris that your app may need to be aware of, such as differences
between the command line options of some GNU and Solaris utilities.

Cheeri,
Calum.