Re: programming practices with regard to gtk and networking

Ken Nagorski ha scritto lo scorso 25/01/2006 19:23:
Hi there,

I just started working with GTK. I have a some background with C which
means I can do OK but when it comes to working with the two together it
gets harder...

My question is really this. I have a very simple IM program that I wrote
in java (had to take a class on it) and I started porting the
application to C and GTK but here is where I run into a problem. I have
a button that says connect. and when clicked it creates the connection
all that works fine, however unlike calling a normal function I can't
really pass data back from the function the button called. Can I... What
I need to do is somehow create the connection when the button is clicked
and then pass the
sockfd to the calling part of the programming (main) so I can then use
that in the calls to send().

What I really need is someone to point me in the right direction.

As an alternative to using low level socket functionality, you could
take a look at GNet. Integrating its functions in a gtk+ application is
a matter of minutes.