gdk_display_set_double_click_time: has no effect

I have implemented double-click handling in some items but would like to
set a longer double-click time than the built-in 1/4 second.  (This is an
embedded but mouse-using system that will not have user-selectable
timing.)

The gdk_display_set_double_click_time function is supposed to do this but
seems to have no effect.  Below is my section of code, with
gdk_display_set_double_click_time right after gtk_init, with an absurdly
long time set to make sure it's not just my perception.

        // initialize GTK
        gtk_init(&(argc), &(argv));

        // set a more comfortable double-click time than the default of
1/4 second
        GdkDisplay *    pDisplay                        =
gdk_display_get_default();
        const guint     DoubleClickTime         = 1000; // milliseconds
        gdk_display_set_double_click_time(pDisplay, DoubleClickTime);

This is in GTK 2.2.4.  This is not a multi-head system.  Did I get the
GdkDisplay in the correct way?