From: David Necas (Yeti) < yeti physics muni cz>
Date: 02-ene-2006 18:44
Subject: Re: gtk label size
To: Fernando Apesteguía <fernando apesteguia gmail com>
Cc: gtk-app-devel-list gnome org

On Mon, Jan 02, 2006 at 06:24:03PM +0100, Fernando Apesteguía wrote:
Suppose that the window where labels are located is size-fixed. The
problem
comes when I create the label longer enough (Great Mistake!!!).... for
most
of languages...
Normally the text is something like "xxxxx" but in some .po files, this is
translated as "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxx xxxx xxxx"

What is the standard way to handle this? Should I  let the string to be
truncated by the size of the label? If this is the case,  would be a good
idea to set a complete tool-tip text?

The standard way is to not make windows/labels/whatever
fixed-size.  If this isn't possible, use ellipsization --
see gtk_label_set_ellipsize().  Whether to add or not to add
a tooltip depends on situation, but generally it's a good
idea.

Yeti

--
That's enough.