gtk label size

Hi to all of you.... and Happy new Year!!!!!

I'm translating my gtk app but I have a doubt:

Suppose that the window where labels are located is size-fixed. The problem
comes when I create the label longer enough (Great Mistake!!!).... for most
of languages...
Normally the text is something like "xxxxx" but in some .po files, this is
translated as "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxx xxxx xxxx"

What is the standard way to handle this? Should I  let the string to be
truncated by the size of the label? If this is the case,  would be a good
idea to set a complete tool-tip text?

Thanks in advance