From: Paul Pogonyshev <pogonyshev gmx net>
Date: 14-feb-2006 20:20
Subject: Re: About layouts
To: gtk-app-devel-list gnome org
Cc: Fernando Apesteguía <fernando apesteguia gmail com>

Fernando Apesteguía wrote:
First of all, thanks for your suggestions.

Actually my app. uses a static layout and the GtkLabels inside this, don't
grown when the text becomes longer. The same GtkLabel behaves ok if it is
inside a GtkTable. So I think I will change the static container.

Yeah, if you mean GtkFixed, abolish it.  It should only be used for really
special purposes, like maybe on a pocket computer with small fixed display
size etc.  Even then it is likely better to use other containers for windows
that are not heavily packed with many widgets.

My app uses a menu bar and a GtkNotebook. In every tab, I have several
GtkLabels and ProgressBars. So if I choose to use non-static containers I
think I'll need two or three GtkTables for each tab.I have three tabs now
but it is expected to have at least five.

If I change the static layout + label for a deeper containers hierarchy
(three levels for example)... will I have a lack of performance when
the UI?

A little unrelated, but at work I use Java and over time I developed this
policy: in GUI, prefer coding convenience over performance _nearly always_.
(An exception might be e.g. a text area that displays a quickly growing
log, like +30 lines per second, there you might need to pay special care to
performance.)

In your case, performance is less important yet, since you have the
dynamic/static layout alternative in the first place.  And I assume GtkFixed
is not quite convenient too work with either.  So, screw performance, there
are more important things at stake ;)

And actually, performance won't even suffer considerably.  So, switch to
dynamic layout, it's by far better in nearly all respects and only
marginally
worse in the others.

Paul