Gtk with shellscript

Hello,
       I have a problem with combining gtk with shell scripts.
I have a shellscript which performs some function and at the same time i need to continue with the gtk
(frontend). But i can continue only after the shellscript finishes execution. I have used execlp to call the
shellscript.
      How can i make the shellscript to get executed in the backend and at the same time continue with the
frontend work?

Regards