From: Tor Lillqvist <tml iki fi>
To: i VS 미솔리 <ivsp msn com>
CC: gtk-app-devel-list gnome org
Subject: Re: helpme starting to develop applications with GTK+
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 10:35:28 +0200

=?ks_c_5601-1987?B?aSBWUyC5zLzWuK4=?= writes:
 > now i'm starting to develop application with GTK+ to support cross
 > platform(unix-like system,mac-os,windows).

 > first, i try to build and compile GTK+(2.8.9) on msys.

(Note to others: note the *msys*. i.e. he's on Windows.)

If you want to build applications that *use* GTK+, why do you think
you will have to build GTK+ itself first?

Have you ever built software of comparable complexity on Unix? It is a
bit futile do dive straight in and try to build GTK+ on Windows with
no experience of configure scripts or make.

> in this time, make's error founded as 'make *** No targets specified
and
 > no makefile. Stop.

There is some fundamental confusion here. In what folder did you give
the "make" command? Is there a makefile in that folder?

And anyway, I find it unlikely that you really want to compile
GTK+. Just use the prebuilt Win32 packages from ftp.gtk.org. You don't
need the GTK+ sources to *use* GTK+.

 > what i need to organize IDE to develop application with GTK+?

You need to tell the IDE where the GTK+, Pango, atk and GLib headers
are, where their (import) libraries are, and what libraries to
use. Really the same as for using any 3rd-party library.

Basically, you could proceed by trial-and-error. Try to compile some
trivial hello, world -type GTK+ sample. It will complain about not
finding header files. Add the appropriate flags to point the compiler
to the headers from the GTK+, Pango, atk and GLib developer
packages. It will next complain about missing functions in the link
phase. Add the appropriate flags and libraries (gtk-win32-2.0.lib,
glib-2.0.lib at least) so that the functions your application calls
will be found.

 > additional i use msvc6,  what is the appropriate IDE i can choice?

Wouldn't that be MSVC6's IDE then? (Or do you have just the
command-line tools from MSVC6 but not the IDE (Visual Studio)? I don't
know the MSVC6 product structure that well.)

One point: You probably should tell MSVC (Visual Studio) to use the
multi-threaded non-debugging dynamic C library (I don't recall what's
the exact term Visual Studio uses, but it means MSVCRT.DLL) even if
you compile your application for debugging. Otherwise you will have a
different C runtime (library) in your application than in
GTK+Pango+GLib, which is not a good idea.

--tml

P.S. Please keep this thread on the list, do not reply to me
personally.