Re: How does one pipe output from process to text buffer?

Hello Tomas!

>     Just a thought: Wouldn't it be a better idea to use a library
> instead of a command when one is available: libssh
> (http://www.0xbadc0de.be/libssh:libssh).

Thanks. Didn't know about that. Just from a cursory glance at the doc:

 * what I like
   clean, abstract interface

   Yes! me too.

 * what I don't
   namespace pollution (besides the prefix ssh_ they use options_
   channel_ and what not).

   I agree but keep in mind that:

1. The developer is a very friendly guy and takes user feedback very
seriously so you can suggest this to him and he'll do whatever seems
appropriate to change things for good.

2. The API is a bit different in the upcoming release: 0.2.

In Tony's case, he might have to extract the fd from the SSH_SESSION
object (is there an interface for that?) to be able to stuff it into a
GIOChannel (not very difficult. I've done it with a database socket). On
the plus side, Tony would just have *one* socket to watch (read and
write side), and errors would (assumedly) come through call results or
whatever.

  I have already thought of implementing a GIOChannel based on the
libssh's CHANNEL object and i already discussed the possbility of
having that in the libssh itself with the developer but he wasn't
particularly interested in glib's mainloop integration so i have put
it in the TODO list of my project. It would be doing that now if there
were some documentation on how to implement your own GIOChannel but
the glib docs seems to even abstract the GIOChannel structure even so
i'll have to get into the sources.

--
Regards,

Zeeshan Ali