moving a window off screen

Hi all,

I want to move a window off screen and then move it gradually onto the screen.

When using the gtk_window_move() function with values greater than the
current screen size the window will not move off-screen but remain
with the full window visible.

Could someone please tell me why this is?
Am i using the correct function or is the window manager stopping it or what?

using libgtk version 2.10.6-0ubuntu3 (edgy-updates)

Thanks,
Niall

Example code
#include <gtk/gtk.h>
int main( int   argc, char *argv[] )
{
   GtkWidget *window;

   gtk_init (&argc, &argv);

   gtk_widget_show  (window);

   gtk_window_move(GTK_WINDOW(window), 1200, 800);

   gtk_main ();

   return 0;